Monday, January 30, 2012

El Pollo Loco Chicken 1/28/2012

I am so sad that I don't have an El Pollo Loco near me.  They need to move on out from the West Coast.  But most of my cooking is rooted in desperation to satisfy a craving so...Fear not! Pollo Loco can happen for all!




This is the marinade I use for a whole chicken cut into pieces.  Any assortment of chicken will work fine.  It is absolutely best grilled, but desperate times can call for baking or in a skillet it just won't have the charbroiled awesomeness of a gas BBQ.




  1. Cut up whole chicken or buy pieces (click for a good tutorial on cutting up a chicken)
    1. (if you cut up your own chicken (slice breast meat off bones) you can toss the carcass and some veggies in a stock pot for chicken broth)
  2. Place chicken parts in gallon ziploc bag.
  3. Combine all ingredients for marinade in small bowl until well blended with fork or whisk.  Pour on top of chicken and mush around until chicken is well coated. 
  4. Place in fridge for several hours until ready to cook.  (Turn bag a few times if you can).
One of the best part about El Pollo Loco is the salsas, so while your chicken hangs out it's salsa time.  Get out your chopper, food processor or blender and get to it.  I make a medium to spicy Pico de Gallo for me, a super mild Pico de Gallo for my fiance (I either use like half a sliver of jalapeno or green bell pepper instead) and Avocado Salsa (the best part!).

Roll out the topping tray.
Spicy salsa, mild salsa, avocado salsa,
pinto beans, sour cream and cheese.


The price break down on this one is tricky with all the seasonings but I priced what a bought for the meal. remember you are also getting about 9 cans worth of broth in this for free if you broke down your chicken, and you have tons of tasty salsa left for other meals.


Whole chicken
4.11
4 limes
1.00
8 tortillas
0.50
avocado
0.79
jalapeno
0.14
Tomatoes 1lb
1.37
cilantro
0.69
Onion
0.22
Total
8.82
Per person
4.41

Right now on the El Pollo Loco website is a deal for a $10 whole chicken with eight tortillas.  Granted you get salsa there for free, but you don't get about 2 cups worth of it for later.  Our chicken and tortillas is $5.36, so almost half price. 

2 comments:

  1. Omg! I love El Pollo Loco! My mom worked there for YEARS! We lived off it! I remember they sold Choco Tacos! Oh, their tortillas were THE best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it is all about that dang Avocado Salsa, I used to go to El Pollo Loco and get anything so that I could get like 7 little containers of that stuff and use as salad dressing all week!

    ReplyDelete